|Reading is the foundation for success in school and in all of life. The ability to read and write is necessary for your child to master very subject and to effectively communicate. You know your child better than anyone and you also want your child to succeed so offer support and encouragement and you can help build his or her love of reading. Following are some parent tips and ideas to assist your child's reading skills at home:|
* Encourage your child to read every day. Reading is a skill and gets better with practice.
* Help your child to get to and use the local library. Set aside time for a regular family trip to the library and assist in checking out books.
* Make reading easy by keeping the TV off and books within easy reach.
* Read aloud to your child. Read stories that you enjoy and vary the subject matter. Set aside time even if it's only 10 minutes.
* Promote reading even if you're not a good reader yourself. Make sure your child has plenty of good reading materials available. Set aside time to have your child read to you and be a part of the regular visits to your local library.
|Last Updated: 5/12/10|